The NCA owns 240+ hectares of parklands. Our mission is to permanently protect them from development and encourage public enjoyment of them as well as use them for the benefit of the entire community.
The protection of Playa Guiones, Playa Pelada, and Playa Nosara has always been a priority for the Nosara Civic Association. NCA played an instrumental role in expanding the Ostional National Wildlife Refuge to include Guiones and Pelada as part of the protected beaches.
Thanks to that expansion, we still enjoy a pristine beach without development in the 200 meters from the high tide line.
To achieve our mission of a sustainable future for Nosara we need to engage in community planning that is transparent and inclusive. We do this by promoting civic engagement and supporting local organizations that follow these principles.
• Nosara Trails System (Senderos de Nosara): With over 16 kms. of trails, the Nosara Trails System offers residents and visitors another way to experience the natural beauty of Nosara. Hikers, runners, horse riders, bicyclists, and everyone who enjoys a walk in nature can observe first-hand the incredible variety of flora and fauna in our forests. The trails keep people safer by allowing them to travel between Nosara and Esperanza without using the main road. Future plans include expanding the system, adding interpretive signs, adding bridges, and creating special loops to walk on.
• Permanent land protection: We have recently re-surveyed our properties and are in the process of delimiting them with living fence posts and recycled plastic posts. All of our parklands will be maintained with property lines being cleared and property being checked on a regular basis. This is an ongoing and necessary expense to prevent unlawful encroachment.
• Nosara Bench Project The Nosara Bench Project is a fundraiser to increase support for our trails.This bench was designed by Aldo Leopold, a famous environmentalist, and made from local hardwoods. By buying a bench you not only are providing a place to rest and contemplate the nature around you, but are also supporting the maintenance and expansion of the trails. For more information contact us at email@example.com.
• Nosara Zoning Plan: Enacting a local zoning plan is one of our main priorities. With such a plan we can insure that we have smart, sustainable, environmentally friendly growth. The NCA is working with the Municipality of Nicoya by providing technical assistance to the commission in charge of drawing up the plan.
• Wildlife Crossings: Working together with the Refuge for Wildlife, Costas Verdes, and Harmony Gardens, the Wildlife Crossings project creates safe passage for arboreal wildlife between the NCA parklands and the Ostional Wildlife Refuge. Engaging with private property owners, we promote the usage of native trees species and installation of rope bridges to guarantee the safe traffic of our wildlife.
• BarriGuiones: Costa Rican NGO Costas Verdes has been planting trees since 2012 to re-establish our coastal forest. In the near future we will have a beach full of native trees providing deep shade and a home for local wildlife. The NCA has been a partner of this project from the beginning, and today we continue to support Costas Verdes with monthly cash donations to cover a portion of their operational expenses.
• TORTUGuiones: This organization has recently been established to do scientific studies on turtles nesting on Playas Pelada and Guiones. This type of scientific evidence will help us protect our beaches as the important turtle nesting areas they are. We provide administrative and financial support. For more information, go to: tortuguiones.org
• CIMACO: An Acronym for Interinstitutional Council for Advice on the Ostional Wildlife Refuge (in Spanish: Consejo Interinstitucional Asesor del Refugio Nacional de Vida Silvestre Ostional), CIMACO is the local organization for all the stakeholders in the Refuge. NCA’s seat on CIMACO gives us a voice and a vote on the management of our beloved beach. A management plan for the refuge, regulations for tourism on the beach, fishing inside the protected zone, and coordination of the turtle egg extraction program are among some of the areas coordinated and supervised by CIMACO.
• Nosara Food Bank: The Food Bank serves families in the Nosara area that do not have enough food by providing monthly supplies of food, household supplies, and personal care items. We are happy to be a financial supporter of this important project. Please consider donating to this worthy organization so they can serve more families in need.
• Nosara Recicla: The NCA has been a founding member and partner of the recycling association, providing financial support to the organization. The Recycling Center was created to reduce the waste stream entering our landfill by separating out recyclables. Today, the center manages a weekly collection of recyclables, provides environmental education in the schools, and promotes recycling through community outreach.
• Biological Corridor: The Rio Nosara Biological Corridor’s goal is to protect the Rio Nosara watershed, which extends from Mt. Alta in Hojancha to the rivermouth at Playa Nosara. As part of the advisory committee, the NCA serves as the fiscal agent for the project as well as coordinating the activities in the lower section of the watershed. The project coordinates community efforts in environmental education, reforestation, sustainable agriculture, and support to ASADAs.